Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:58:38 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        youlgok@attglobal.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading a program by ports' package

On 9/7/00, 3:42:35 PM, youlgok@attglobal.net wrote regarding Re:=20
upgrading a program by ports' package:

> Hi, Salvo Bartolotta:

> Thanks for your kind reply.  I have one question.  If I just pkg_add
> glib-1.2.8 without deleteing glib-1.2.6, what could be happend?  Both
> pacakges are installed?

> -Paul

Hello Paul,=20

Well, normally, a package **overwrites** the other. That's why you=20
first pkg_delete the old one, and then you install the new one.

However, there are packages designed to coexist in different versions=20
(cf e.g. different versions of tcl in /usr/ports/lang).

If you mess things up (ie overwrite), well, you should use (wait for=20
it) pkg_delete(1) in order to get rid of all the relevant bits (new=20
and old ones ).=20

I have been using almost exclusively the ports system ..., so I=20
haven't actually/effectively run into this type of scenario :-)

If you use the ports system, you will follow a slightly different=20
strategy: you first make sure that a new port, say, "foo", builds=20
before pkg_deleting the old one; then you install the new version.

HTH,
Salvo