Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:41:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on 2.2.6 upgrade

While chatting about upgade glitches, my major one was with /dev
entries.  For a variety of reasons, I didn't tell sysinstall to
do anything with my second scsi drive.  When I rebooted with my
own fstab referencing second drive, things came to a screetching
halt when the /dev entries were not found.

I would have expected /dev/MAKEDEV sd1 to make all the slice
entries.  In fact it did make /dev/sd1s[1-4] but NOT
/dev/sd1s[1-4][a-h].  I eventually did /dev/MAKEDEV sd1s1a which
made them all for slice 1, but I don't understand why the
simplest form didn't do the Right Thing.

Is this behavior a bug or a feature?

-john