Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 22:31:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        telecom1@erols.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT vs FreeBSD

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 telecom1@erols.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>	I am having difficulty trying to decide which software
>	to run.
>
>	If you could answer these questions, on NT w/ Website Pro,
>	compared with FREEBsd, I would greatly appreciate it:
>
>	I am also new to this, and I am looking for a simple, and
>	easy to understand application:
>
>	Questions:
>	---------
>
>               1.) Ease of Use (Administration)

	NT is easier to admin then Unix to a person who never used a
computer before. For me Unix would be easier to admin then NT since I
don't know much about NT tunning, etc.

>               2.) Software Compatibility Issues (cgi's, perl scripts, C
>programs, etc.)

	Perl was written on Unix. Unix is written in C. It all ties
together.

>               3.) Re-booting Issues

	Most Unix boxes have months and months of uptime and are rebooted
for software patches/updates. NT on the other hand.. well..

>               4.) Security (Which is more secure?)

	FreeBSD can be make very secure (www.best.com/~jkb/howto.txt)
	Any person with half a clue in NT (that include me) can take over
NT box in no time.

>               5.) FreeBSD w/ Apache OR Website Pro for NT?
>               which is better & why?

	FreeBSD is better. Why? Ask people who run it. Like yahoo! which
is 100% FreeBSD shop. Or ask people at Hotmail who run FreeBSD on their
web servers because NT couldn't handle the load.

>               6.) Anything else I forgot to mention.

	Yes, you forgot to ask where to get FreeBSD. Look at
www.freebsd.org for more info.

-- Yan