Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:23:39 +1000 (EST)
From:      Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "failsafe" NFS

Hi,

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Rowan Crowe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just started reading up on, and playing with NFS.
>
> Is it possible to use multiple servers, like HD mirroring? For example a
> passive second server quietly writes all changes to its local HD, but
> ignores read requests - unless the first server is unresponsive.

I don't believe so. AFAIK later versions of NFS allow you to specify
multiple servers but the MUST be readonly. Syncing the servers is another
problem. NFS won't do it for you. AT the risk of upsetting a few people,
Linux has a couple of add-ons that p[rovide a "network block device". One
pkg allows you to mirror a local disk with a remote disk, presenting the
mirror as a device node (/dev/...). Another package provides a local
device node that is actually a remote disk or partition or file (very
flexible). Performance is supposed to be good on both of these. Much
information is available on www.linux-ha.org. If only someone would do the
same for *-bsd.

Colin