Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:53:39 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if-simple filter won't work with printer

At 9:13 AM -0700 4/17/02, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:
>When I try to print
>
>     #lptest 20 5 | lpr -Php
>
>I get the following error -
>
>     Apr 17 07:57:42 cwiegand2 lpd[90655]:
>         cannot execv /usr/local/libexec/if-simple
>     Apr 17 07:57:42 cwiegand2 lpd[90654]:
>         hp: job could not be printed (cfA000cwiegand2)
>
>The file if-simple is directly from the handbook
>
>#!/bin/sh
># if-simple - Simple text input filter for lpd
># Installed in /usr/local/libexec/if-simple
># Simply copies stdin to stdout.  Ignores all filter arguments.
>/bin/cat && exit 0
>exit 2
>
>According to the error the problem is with the if-simple
>filter, which is direct from the handbook.

The error certainly does imply it would be a problem
with the filter.  Try running the filter by yourself.
You don't need to send any output to the printer, as all
you care is whether the filter works.

try something like:

echo "test" | /usr/local/libexec/if-simple

and see what happens.  'cat /etc/printcap', and copy the
exact name of the filter as found in the if entry of the
print queue -- I don't know how much time I've wasted due
to some letter being the digit '1' when I thought it was
a lowercase L or uppercase i.  See what errors you get.