Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:59:00 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Continual DNS requests from mysterious IP

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 04:51:28PM -0800, Craig Harding wrote:

> I'm in exactly the same situation on our network. I originally
> planned to use two copies of BIND running on the one gateway machine,
> each listening on a different interface (1 internal, 1 external), but
> with the version of BIND I was using (8.1 I think) I found that this
> wasn't possible, contrary to the documentation.

And why do you want to do so? How about using access lists from within
bind? You allow access to the pseudo-domain you're using for you local
network and the reverse lookup from your local network only, and every-
body asking from the outside will get no answer.

You need only one name-server doing all the work for the network.

Regards,

Martin
--
,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities, if you're knowing to take them,
        you know, there's a lot of opportunities, if there aren't