Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:41:32 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "S(pork)" <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP on sup.freebsd.org

> now the question I have for the list is how hard is it to get into
> sup.freebsd.org on average with CVSup?  This is what I've been getting
> tonight:
>
> Retrying
> Connected to sup.FreeBSD.org
> Rejected by server: Maximum simultaneous clients exceeded
> Will retry at 18:33:59

It's very hard to get into cvsup.freebsd.org (= sup.freebsd.org) right
now.  There is a flurry of activity due to so many committers working on
getting -2.2 and -2.1.6 released.

> Also, what are some other up-to-date CVSup servers?

Personally, I use cvsup2.freebsd.org.  It gets updated 4 times per
day, so it's only 3 hours out-of-date on average (6 hours maximum).
Very few people need to be more current than that.

As the guy who watches the log files for both systems, I can tell you
that cvsup2 is seriously underused.  I've never seen it max out on the
number of simultaneous clients.

Traditionally, the weakness of our mirror system has been that the
mirrors haven't always kept themselves up to date in terms of new
collections that have been added.  For example, cvsup2 didn't pick up
"ports-all" quickly enough after it was added.  I am working on an
automatic update system to eliminate that problem.  The only current
problem I know of with cvsup2 is that it didn't yet have the "src-all"
collection, last time I checked.  So you have to list the individual
collections that make up src-all.  Other than that, I've always had good
luck with it.

John