Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:05:30 -0700
From:      Charlie & <root@dragon.nuxi.com>
To:        John <jpapalia@voicenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP's, NIC's, and masquerading in 3.2-Stable

> both cards are the Intel EtherExpress ProB 10/100 (someone suggested
> trying a different brand card - unfortunately I can't afford the $$$ to
> do that just yet)

Ignore the uninformed person that said that.  You already have the best
Ethernet card FreeBSD supports.  My lab has a few machines with three of
them working just fine.

> network_interfaces="fxp0 fxp1 ppp0 lo0 tun0"
                                ^^^^
Why?  Since you have "tun0", I assume you are using /usr/sbin/ppp rather
than /usr/sbin/pppd?  But with two Ethernet cards, it seems you don't
want PPP at all.  Anyway, ``pppd'' really isn't what you should be using
unless you are in a rare position that ``ppp'' won't do something for
you.

> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 10.0.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> ifconfig_fxp1="inet 10.0.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"

As someone pointed out, this seems wrong.  Just what is it you are
wanting to achieve?  Since you mention a college campus, are you sure you
aren't wanting to configure at least one of the NIC's via DHCP?

> What I find odd is that if I boot from a 2nd kernel in which fxp1 is

With PCI devices (which the Intel EtherExpress Pro is one), you only need
*one* mention of the device in your kernel config.  ``fxp0'' is all you
need -- no matter how many of them you have.