Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:44:12 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>, "Geoffrey Crompton (RMIT Guest)" <ghcrompton@gecko.eric.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting ports to work

On Wednesday January 31, 2001 18:10, Christopher Farley wrote:
> Geoffrey Crompton (RMIT Guest) (ghcrompton@gecko.eric.net.au) wrote:
> >   I've got a machine here that was recently upgraded from 4.1.1 to
> > 4.2. That went fine, but now the ports collection don't work. On
> > any port I get:
> > Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to match
> > this bsd.port.mk.
>
> The ports system changed, I believe, between 4.1 and 4.2. You can
> install an 'upgrade kit' - see http://www.freebsd.org/ports
>
> >   I also have a 4.2 machine which has a working ports collection.
> > (This machine I built from scratch). So I tar'd and bzip'd
> > /usr/ports and sent it over to the other machine, and extracted it
> > over the /usr/ports collection. I figured that as I got the ports
> > collection from a working machine, it should work. But it doesn't.
>
> This probably would work if you rm'd or mv'd your existing /usr/ports
> directory. You are actually not missing any files from the current
> distribution, you have certain directories that are no longer used.

In other words you had extra files, and untaring the working port tree
over the old does not delete the extra files (by default).

> If you simply untar the new ports collection over the old one, it
> doesn't resolve the problem. Nor does cvsupping the new ports tree.

Well, by default cvsup will not delete anything it does not explicitly
know about.  But it can be made to delete the extra stuff.  So
cvsupping can be made to work in this case, it just requires some extra
work.  If anyone wanted to know how, you could read the cvsup FAQ at:
http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html#adopt

	Basically it's more work than it's worth and you might as well delete
out the non working /usr/ports and lay in the working one.

						Tim