Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2007 00:15:32 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any advice for a Partition Plan for a multi-jailed Server?

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 23:40:26 Aliya Harbouri wrote:

> I did not know I COULD split swap.  Hum.  How does the system
> use/allocate each across the split ... Ok, ok. That's what Googling's
> for :-)

Actually, swapon(8) tells a lot ;)

> > > Unless you're a packrat where logs are concerned,
>
> I'm not, really.  I probably SHOULD be.
>
> > you can probably do with:
> > > /var 10G (on disk 1)
> > > And use:
> > > /var/db 100G - this will house MySQL primarily
> > > /var/spool 10-50G - any queues, most notably mail, disable softupdates.
> > > Adjust size to match your mail payload.
> > > /var/mail - "rest" - possibly disable softupdates.
>
> Good thoughts. Need to better understand why I care about softupdates
> one way or the other, though.

Generally, a mailserver doesn't benefit from softupdates, because it will wait
for "committed to disk" signal from OS, to prevent mail from being lost. Over
time you will also get a good idea of what kind of mail you're dealing with
and tunefs(8) might be beneficial. It's one major reason I dislike "/data"
mountpoints containing all different kinds of services. Over time budget and
usage have a way of conflicting and you'll be happy to get any extra
performance outof your machines.

--
Mel