Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:13:35 +0900
From:      itojun@iijlab.net
To:        core@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   KAME IPv6 and freebsd

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

	I heard that, some of you, got confused by recent news about
	additional NetBSD-core guys (me).

	The above fact does not change anything about KAME-FreeBSD
	relationship (I can only speak for KAME side though), because:
	- KAME project's goal is to provide IPv6/IPsec reference code to *BSD,
	  so we of course continue to work on KAME/FreeBSD, KAME/BSDI, and
	  KAME/NetBSD.  We are trying to support KAME/OpenBSD (so that no
	  major BSDs are left out from our support list).
	- KAME project is NOT itojun's personal project.  It involves 8 core
	  KAME guys and several other people.  There are 3 KAME guys
	  (incl. me) who has committer access to FreeBSD repository.
	  So, the fact I became one of NetBSD-core does not mean anything to
	  KAME project.
	- NetBSD merged KAME stack earlier because NetBSD have more strict
	  "feature freeze" policy than FreeBSD (if I don't import now KAME
	  will not be inclduded in NetBSD 1.5).
	  FreeBSD has been waiting for unified-ipv6 to experience less
	  "jumbo import" during IPv6 merge.

	And then, FreeBSD-IPv6 plan.
	Now (as attached), unified-ipv6 effort has settled down into KAME.
	so it should be okay to merge KAME (= unified-ipv6) into
	FreeBSD-current.  There may be some changes that may trouble you
	during the first period of merging, but I think FreeBSD and KAME
	guys can work those technical issues out.
	KAME side is, I think, quite ready to merge.  KAME side needs
	FreeBSD-core's word like "okay, go ahead", and direction about
	merger of IPsec part.

itojun

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0