Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2017 17:20:13 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
Cc:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>,  "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Creating armv7 MACHINE_ARCH
References:  <CANCZdfpUjPBRpxpmjtwK-wpiK=%2BwHscS4UmVeatrE7vrm260tw@mail.gmail.com> <20170612152808.6094931.74364.27128@gmail.com> <CANCZdfrxTo8vLsnjU_VerO%2B3%2BU=06cok7%2BuKba3FM8_nXFozhQ@mail.gmail.com> <B19EDB95-2A23-4F8F-8414-3F4E0E65AC4B@dsl-only.net> <CABx9NuQTOkf6HK=RacUCBR=W_WDfgZwbVHYwsRdx0YJd=zr51w@mail.gmail.com> <2A90A527-7DCA-4442-9322-0EA96236583C@dsl-only.net> <3CC8DE8A-CCF2-4856-A43E-6B259BDE8B2C@dsl-only.net> <CANCZdfp6cnXdHxSQGTXHq4Md4Jh6=u4Af_rDM3k_RgoN%2BFrXWA@mail.gmail.com> <CABx9NuRJLgc0cSsykrSbJi=fVq-jfOi7ZEiZ5LRHG5tqibZ_2Q@mail.gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, feel free to ignore me, I'm not going to get the time drill into
> the source code for my own questions so I don't expect anyone else
> too. However, I'll ask anyway. I'm too confused to try and inline
> these questions. Lets see if I understand:
>
> - armv7 does not support 64 bit instructions (according to Wikipedia?
> I claim no expertise.)
> - FreeBSD has an armv6 "architecture" that is supports armv6 and armv7
> on Pre-Cortex-A-53 processors that is not supported on A-53 through
> the emulated AArch32.

There may be a tiny number of kernel or bootloader issues precluding that
support, but yes. I've been told of people claiming to run a newer rpi2
(v1.2 or newer) in 32-bit mode, but I've not been able to confirm the
people who are making the claims. It should be possible to do this, since
we know Linux does it, so it's only a matter of someone showing up with
patches and/or instructions on how to do this.

> - Cortex A-53 can support armv8 (AArch64) and armv7 (AArch32) instructions

Yes, as well as many others that have similar situations.

> - The current proposal is to split the armv6 and armv7 into their own
> "architectures"

Kinda, yes. This is to build two different sub-architectures where we
currently do just one.

> FreeBSD has an Arm 64 bit kernel build. I don't see what the
> TARGET_ARCH settings in the wiki and know little about it, but will
> conjecture that it doesn't have a TARGET_ARCH=armv8 (please correct me
> if I'm wrong).

It's callled aarch64, per industry norms. Arm doesn't want people calling
it arm64 or armv8 when referencing the architecture, so nobody that's
running in this space sets their architecture name to anything bug aarch64.

> What I was trying to ask was: is the kernel development moving in a
> direction that clearly indicates the differences in the instructions
> vs the architectures (or have I grossly simplified the problem)? Will
> it be possible to target a Cortex-A53 and build for 32 or 64 bit
> support? Or is this just to fix RPi?

It already has that difference in an MI way. The MD code to do that hasn't
caught up yet (to run 32-bit binaries on a 64-bit kernel). It's just that
the rpi is the first device people have wanted to boot either in 32-bit
mode or in 64-bit mode, so that's exposing that our code is a bit green in
that area.

> In terms of Raspbian, I had assumed they were just supporting Aarch32
> across both processor models. Many of the drivers would be the same
> source if they share components so I would think it would be "simple".
> I didn't see anything in my brief look at it today to indicate
> otherwise.

We already share considerable code between the armv7 and aarch64 kernels to
support raspberry pi devices since they are substantially similar between
them.