Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 15:04:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Violently pulling out my hair

> On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Branson Matheson wrote:
>
> >  Ok... tcpdump manpage gently describes the wonderful way to montior
> > packets from an ethernet address as follows:
> >
> > ether host ehost
> >     True if either the ethernet source or destination address is
> >     ehost.
>
> > So I tried:
> >
> > 	root@garion > tcpdump ether host gw.hq.ferg.com
> > 	tcpdump: only ethernet/FDDI supports link-level host name
> >
> > Grrr...
>
> Use an IP address instead.  Look in arp -a and find the ether-to-ip
> mapping.

 Heh... there stems the problem.. this is an hp telnet server that We
are troubleshooting.. it will not boot... and soo we wanted to see the
packets that might be comming from it looking for boot information..
things like it's ip for instance ;-)

 - branson

branson matheson    |     branson@widomaker.com
Ferguson SysAdmin   |      http://widomaker.com/~branson