Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 19:19:28 -0700
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Roland Jesse <jesse@mail.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFCE Window Manager

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, Roland Jesse wrote:
> Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de> writes:
>
> > > 3.4.0.  It's not a package or port though, so I'm a little unsure
> > > about  installing it. Do I just 'tar xzvf'  the file and restart XCFE?
> >
> > I suggest building it first.
>
> Well, there *are* binary tgz archives available at
> <http://www.xfce.org/download.html#TOP>.
>

>         Roland

I did download the one from www.xfce.org called
xfce-3.4.0-freebsd.i386.bin.tar.gz
which I then ran d/l'ed into /usr/ports/distfiles.
I then ran
tar xzvf xfce-etc.bin.tar.gz
and saw on the screen all the files being extracted into the various
directories, mostly /usr/loca/xfce/
So then I go to /usr/local and low and behold, there is no xfce directory.
I do a search and the files that were extracted do not exist on my system
anywhere, yet I saw them extract.
Any idea what can cause this anomaly? (Is that the right word?)

--
Chip Wiegand