Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2018 09:16:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removal of token-ring infrastructure coming soon

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 04:56:32PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > > I have posted a revision which removes support for token-ring networking
> > > from the tree.  There have been no such devices for some time.
> > >
> > > https://reviews.freebsd.org/D14875
> > >

> > Arcnet coming soon?
> > and probably FDDI?
>
> That's my plan.  I started with token ring as it doesn't even have
> drivers (Arcnet and FDDI have one driver each, but ISA and 32-bit PCI
> respectively AFACT).

I fully support that arcnet and FDDI are dead.

Please be a bit carefull with what your calling "32 bit PCI" as
those are also often embedded devices in chipsets that may not
have cards avaliable, but are infact built in to systems.

Also I have become aware that axing the bt946 support may not
be a real good idea, as that is/was a common hypervisor emulation
device and just recently found myself using it in to access
a disk that was created with a scsi controller that had odd
translation and the ata layer would not do the right thing
for me.  (32 sector, 64 head, which is not really odd for
scsi, thats common translation for many scsi cards).

I ended up using vmware with a bt946 emulation on scsi with
the drive image attached to it, and booted FreeBSD from an
ahci attached disk.  If the bt946 drive was missing from
11.1 I would of been stuck.

As far as I am aware both vmware and virtualbox have support
for bt946 emulation, which is also a superset of aha154x.