Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:47:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Patrick Calkins <pcalkins@oemsupport.com>
Cc:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.com>, "Freebsd-Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: RAID

You can purchase hardware RAID systems that are managed entirely by an
internal system and FreeBSD treats the RAID as a single device.  I have
worked with a couple RAID systems like this, once with Solaris and once
with FreeBSD.  The first one had 4 drives in a RAID configuration and it
had a disk controller that managed the whole thing.  The RAID even had
it's own CPU.  I believe it was a 486 process, plenty to do the job.

And when I worked with a hardware RAID system with FreeBSD it was seamless
for me to use the RAID system.  Here is the output of df on this system.

/dev/amrd0s1a    198399    37193   145335    20%    /
/dev/amrd1s1e  16748555  6245519  9163152    41%    /export
/dev/amrd0s1e   3473102   947042  2248212    30%    /usr
/dev/amrd0s1f   2032623   949768   920246    51%    /usr/local
/dev/amrd0s1g   2542344     5478  2333479     0%    /var

In typical systems you have IDE or SCSI drives and you use device drivers
like ad0 for IDE and sd0 for SCSI but this one here is a MegaRAID drive in
a Dell PowerEdge server.  FreeBSD has great driver support for this piece
of hardware (this brand name) and it has worked well.  Dell uses this RAID
hardware in all of their systems.  You could also just search out
MegaRAID.  Search the mailing list archives for it and you will find lots
of information on it, perhaps my conversations on it about a year ago.

As far as configuring a software RAID with a few drives, I would not even
try it for something I want to handle high load and offer
redundancy.  Yahoo I am sure uses RAID systems of a much higher level.  I
was once shown a network storage system which placed on disk space on the
ethernet and if you need another 100 gigs you simply plug in a new device
and you have that space.  Perhaps systems at Yahoo, Google and AltaVista
use systems such as these.  The cdrom.com server runs a RAID drive for all
of it's storage.  Perhaps someone knows the configuration and the brand of
hardware for that server.  I heard that box is a low end Pentium with a
Gigabit ethernet connection.  I would be interested in seeing a server
maintainance log on that system for the past 5 years.

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)