Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 20:28:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        cheryl@luminaop.com (Cheryl Kane)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up email auto-responders

Cheryl Kane wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am the support manager here at Lumina Office Products.  I would like
> to setup an auto-response for incoming email to our technical support
> department.  Is this something that is available through FreeBSD?
>
> Your quick response is greatly appreciated.

This is rather easy to do (in a simple minded way, e.g. all mail
to "tech@xxxx" gets the same response) with the procmail and formail
utility programs, available on nearly any Unix, including FreeBSD.

With additional scripting, the autoresponse might be tailored
to keywords in the mail's subject line, and the mail possibly
be routed to different tech support people. This is not "out of
the box" behavior, though. "Some assembly required."

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'