Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2019 22:55:08 -0800
From:      Craig Leres <leres@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Django versions

I'm working on a port for mailman 3. I want to use django 2.1 because
that's what I'm using on the systems I'm currently running mailman 2 on
you can't really run different version of django on the same system).
But it turns out a lot of ports have RUN_DEPENDS for www/py-django111.

One possible solution would be to change these dependencies to the
www/py-django meta port. This allows the user pick the version of django
via py-django options. But I see a bunch of ports got added last month:

     www/py-dj21-django-cors-headers
     www/py-dj21-django-debug-toolbar
     www/py-dj21-django-filter
     www/py-dj21-django-js-asset
     www/py-dj21-django-mptt
     www/py-dj21-django-tables2
     www/py-dj21-django-taggit
     www/py-dj21-django-taggit-serializer
     www/py-dj21-django-timezone-field
     www/py-dj21-djangorestframework
     www/py-dj21-drf-yasg

which are the py-django21 version of the py-django111 ports with similar
names.

Anyway the current situation prevents folks from using py-django20 if
that's what they want. And a ton of changes will be needed when django22
(currently in beta) arrives.

The downside I see to changing dependencies from py-django111 to
py-django is that only the py-django111 versions of things were get
built/tested automatically (due to py-django111 being the default
version). And I think there are issues for ports that don't work with
all version of django (is there a way for a port's Makefile to know what
version of django got installed?)

Are there other problems?

Are there other solutions? Flavors comes to mind but I'm told "doubly
flavored" ports (python flavor vs. django flavor) are very difficult.

Without any changes I'll need to add DJANGO111 and DJANGO21 to my
mailman 3 port and forget about folks being able to use django20. This
will be extra messy because mailman 3 is split across several different
packages.

		Craig