Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 95 09:57:20 CDT
From:      laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SOCKS - anyone?

Hi,

Last weekend I was working on porting the SOCKS 4.2 software to
freebsd.  The 4.2 code already had an entry for freebsd1.1.  This worked
fine to get the code to compile.  When I started testing the clients
they would work only if I gave the IP number.  It failed if name resolution
was required.

I don't run DNS locally. The SOCKS server is running it and I know that
works because we have this software installed on or sun network and
the SOCKS clients work fine there.

Stepping thru the client code it looked like the local system was being
used to do name resolution.

Does anybody on this list use SOCKS?  Any clues about how to get
the remote server to do the DNS resolution?

Thanks,

Derek Laufenberg
laufen@sol.med.ge.com