Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:57:26 +1030 (CST)
From:      Stavros Patiniotis <stavros@esc.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, stavros@esc.net.au
Subject:   Installing 3.1 #2

Hello,
	I am trying to install 3.1-Release, and am having some
difficulties..  I have no problems what so ever when I install it on an
IDE drive, however when I try to install it on my SCSI drive, the HDD wont
boot once the install has finished.

Some facts:

	o  The SCSI card is an Adaptec 2940, which is supported.
	o  The driver are Seagate Cheaters.
	o  The SCSI card dedects the drives as ID=0 and ID=1 (as
	   configured)
	o  The installation proceudre completed without fault.
	o  FreeBSD is detecting the drive as da0 and da1, in previous
	   releases(2.2.7) it had them selected as sd0 and sd1.
	o  The slice on HDD 0 is marked at bootable.
	o  The standrd MBR is selected (The middle option).
	o  When the computer tries to boot is comes up with an error
	   saying "Operating System Missing".  You can do anything but
	   reboot.

Why is the HDD being marked at daX and not sdX, is this the cause for my
problem? If so How do I fix it?  (I've tried removing all the unnecessary
config from the kernel upon installation boot up).

If not what could be the problem?

Regards,

Stavros Patiniotis
-System Administrator / Network Manager  	       Escape.Net            -
-				       		       465b South Rd         -
-email: stavros@esc.net.au			       Keswick SA 5035       -