Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 15:18:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some SCSI questions

Hi !
I have some general questions regarding SCSI. First I'll show my
System:

left end:  Pioneer CD Rom (10x) terminated
middle:    HP 2GB, Quantum 3.2GB, Adaptec 2940AU, Philips CDD2000
right end: Fujitsu 1GB

When I'm working with this configuration I sometimes has the problem that
the Fujitsu is goin' down for some seconds and then it goes up again.
It has nothing to do with the cables because I switched them with other
devices but there were only these dropouts at the Fujitsu disk.

While I've been writing CDs it often happened that the test is goin' through
but the real write crashes. There's no error message, the whole machine
is standing still. Yesterday I took the Fujitsu disk off the bus and
put the Philips CDD at the right end of the chain (terminated). There
were absolutely no problems during writing (by the way: I'm writing
CDs still under Win95 on a P133 which should be fast enough.) Before taking
off the Fujitsu disk the buffer bar was jumping a little bit. After removing
the disk it was standing still. Maybe the Fujitsu disk isn't able to
terminate correct ? It has only a grey block (named RM...) which seems to
be a terminator. Maybe this is an automatic terminator ? Would it
be a problem if I put the disk into the chain and not at the end ?

Another thing: the Quantum is an Ultra SCSI disk. I want to ride Ultra SCSI
on it, but I don't have any active terminators. Is it possible to do it
whith the Pioneer and the Philips at both ends ? Are they using active
termination or not ? The next problem is: When I'm not using the CD writer
I switch it off (not during the bus is running). Will it terminate anyway ?
Will the termination work even if it's an active termination ?

As long as this Fujitsu disk is further making trouble maybe I should
change it. When I'm running FreeBSD and it drops off, it sometimes panics
the system (not the Adaptec bug with heavy load !). Can anyone help me ?

What would you do ?

Bye,
	Udo

P.S.: The Adaptec is in the middle because some of my devices (Philips &
      Fujitsu) are not in my tower, they're external...
--
Udo Wolter, email: uwp@cs.tu-berlin.de
!!! LOW-TECH Page: http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~uwp/low-tech.html !!!