Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:14:02 +0200
From:      Wim Livens <livensw@rc.bel.alcatel.be>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC questions

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 11:04:17PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Where can I find more information, such as if single mode fiber comes into
> the building, but the interface is multimode (in this case the ENI), what
> can I do to make it compatible. ?

   I've had the same problem, connecting multimode NICs to a
singlemode switch.  This was all in one room so I just used multimode
fiber from the NIC to the switch and whatever fiber with an attenuator
($50) in the other direction.  It was a trial and error thing but it's
working now for over two years without any problem.

   You might have a problem in the NIC to outside direction.
Connecting MM fiber to SM fiber will loose almost all of the signal
but it might work if you use single mode fiber up to the NIC and use
as little as possible connectors (they all loose some signal).

--
Wim Livens.

Alcatel - Corporate Research Center     wim.livens@alcatel.be
Fr. Wellesplein 1                       livensw@rc.bel.alcatel.be
B-2018 Antwerpen                Tel:    +32 3 240 7570
Belgium.                        Fax:    +32 3 240 9932