Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:04:38 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        peter@spirit.lib.umt.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any Mutt users?

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 01:41:03PM -0000, peter@spirit.lib.umt.edu wrote:
> OK, I'm taking the plunge.  I'm learning mutt.  I've been digging through docs but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to send e-mail through an SMTP server
> with mutt (other than my own)

That's not mutt's responsiblity. It's your local MTA's (sendmail, exim,
postfix, etc) job to forward your email to a central SMTP server. You
need to set up your MTA to hand your email onwards.

>and failing that, I'd really like to be
> able to set the return address to something other than
> username@mymachine.on.the.dialup.

All you have to do is to add to your ~/.muttrc:

    my_hdr From: whomever@whatever.domain.i.want

> On a side note, I've configured mutt to recognize the several fbsd
> mailing lists, but I would like to somehow automate messages being sorted
> into different folders (i.e. freebsd-questions@freebsd.org ==> /questions)

This is a job for a mail-filter. I use mail/procmail (in the ports);
with the the following recipe in ~/.procmailrc to sort all my freebsd
mailing-lists email into respective folders:

    #
    # FreeBSD lists
    :0:
    * ^Sender:.*owner-\/freebsd-[^@]+@FreeBSD.ORG
    {
      LISTNAME=${MATCH}
      :0
      * LISTNAME??^\/[^@]+
      ${MATCH}
    }

As with most things on UNIX, you have to find the right tool to do the
job you want. Mutt isn't like Outlook, which tries to do *everything*
(badly); it provides hooks for external programs, and only deals with
it's area of responsibility.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>