Date:      29 Mar 2001 10:38:00 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NATD on a VPN account

rpotts@harris.com (Potts, Ross) writes:

> Is it tru that VPN will break the SMB connectivity from NATted boxes to another
> LAN?  Right now we are paying a fairly good sized bill for a 256k slice off of a
> T1 that is mostly voice.  Every PC has it's own IP address.  My communications
> office says that if I were to host these PCs with NATD over a VPN connection to
> the main subnet(they are considering broadband on our end for cost), that there
> would be a breakage in the connection to their NT PDC/BDCs and shares.  Would a
> router/firewall with carefully scripted rules keep us connected, in regards to
> SMB?

Most VPN technology will not work through a NAT.  If encryption is applied to
addresses, and a router changes the addresses, then obviously it's going to
break.  You might be able to use an encrypted tunnel *within* the VPN, but the
logical topology (and the address assignments) would get pretty complicated.

I realize this explanation was very brief; ask further questions if it's unclear.

Be well.