Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:19:09 -0400
From:      "Craig Huckabee" <huck@spawar.navy.mil>
To:        <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.4 Install hangs on AMI  RAID controller

( Posted again per private e-mail suggestion that details would help)

I'm attempting to install FreeBSD on a Micron NetFRAME 3100 - it is a
dual Pentium II with an AMI MegaRAID Express 000 controller.  Looking at the
sources for the amr driver, this card (Series 762) appears to be supported.

However, while booting from the install CD, the controller is detected
properly but the boot process stops once the logical disk is reported.  An
install without the RAID controller works fine.

The adapter is correctly detected as a Series 762 by FreeBSD and flashing
the adapter BIOS to an older version didn't help - still hangs.

So, are only specific firmware versions of this controller supported ?

Is there some option on the controller I need to adjust (no I2O mode on this
controller) ?
It almost seems as if the driver is waiting for something - using an older
version of FreeBSD the install process still stops after detecting the
logical drive, but I can restart the system cleanly with Ctrl-Alt-Del (the
controller cache is flushed, etc, etc)  The logical disk is reported as
being OK (not damaged or rebuilding) in the controller's BIOS utility.

This machine was running Windows NT with this controller so it doesn't
appear to be a hardware problem.

Any help is appreciated.

/ Craig Huckabee        |          e-mail: huck@spawar.navy.mil /
/ Code 71B-CH           |           phone: (843) 218 4446       /
/ SPAWAR Systems Center | close proximity: "Hey You!"           /
/ Charleston, SC        |            ICBM:  32.78N, 79.93W      /