Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:18:39 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Samba disappears?

I've just discovered that in the last month or so one of my servers is
behaving strangely. The Samba daemon starts up normally, but then the
process disappears. When I run 'ps -aux | grep smb' the only process that
shows up is grep. I've tried running it from the command line with the
debug flag set, but the log doesn't show anything -- it shows the daemon
starting, loading parameters, and then nothing. The .pid file remains in
/var/run, but there's no process active.

I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.5:
[root@kepler:~]# uname -a
FreeBSD kepler.implab.ac.th 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Wed Feb 27
08:29:05 ICT 2002     root@kepler.implab.ac.th:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KEPLER
i386

and [root@kepler:~]# /usr/local/sbin/smbd -V
Version 2.0.7

I can't tell exactly when this behavior started, but it's only been a month
or six weeks. Natd is working fine, so all the Win98 boxes connected to
this server can connect to the Internet (the most important function), but
they can't see the server as a Windoze resource, so I can't install from
it. I obviously must have changed something, because it used to work fine,
but I can't remember what changed in that time period except for upgrading
Mozilla.

Can anyone suggest what I might try to find out what is causing the process
to disappear? I'm reluctant to upgrade Samba.
--
Roger

You're only young once,
but you can be immature forever!