Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:49:13 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
Subject:   Re: IPFW/Dummynet - Internet Access

* Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net> [20020227 14:06]: wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:47:55PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> Hey Wash,
>
> > I'd like to give Internet access to some residents of a building BUT I want
> > to have every user on their own private network (diff IP, no broadcast
> > traffic to the other) and also do bandwidth limiting.
> >
> > QUESTION 1: Is it possible that I can configure each port on switch as a unique vlan,
> >             have the port that your FreeBSD box connects to pass all vlans, and then
> >             setup 3 VLAN interfaces on the FreeBSD box, one for each VLAN/client?
>
> Yes, it's called a trunk port in Cisco.
>
> >             My problem is that I don't want the clients/vlans to see one another.
>
> No problem - just don't route them to each other.
>
> >             I am being told that this is not the way vlans work, that vlans will require
> >             multiple switches, yes???
>
> I don't believe that to be correct.
> You can use VLANs with just one switch.

Could someone elaborate/expound (even give reference URLs) more on this. I have to convince our
network engineer here that this can be done. We have a CISCO 2900 series switch which I need to
prod him to give me fo this test. He asserts that this can not be done and quotes the following
URL - http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sft_6_1/configgd/vlans.htm

> > QUESTION 2: I've already run IPFW on a FreeBSD box and while I am new to ipfw, I
> > see it's already running fine, bar for the tuning that it will require to achieve
> > the goal. If I want to do bandwidth limiting using dummynet, using the instructions
> > at www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ , at what point in rc.ipfw do I introduce the
> > dummynet rules, at the end???
>
> Can't answer that one.
> Can't you just use pipes (or does that require dummynet) ?

My bad. I believe there is something that has not come out clear here. Aren't pipes not
part of dummynet application? Since I am new at this, I seem a bit lost. Can I use pipes
with a kernl _not_ built with dummynet?

Thanks again.

-Wash

S y s t e m s   A d m i n.

--
Odhiambo Washington  <wash@wananchi.com>    "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

++
Taxes, n.:
	Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get
an extension.