Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:40:40 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Trevin Chow" <tmchow@sfu.ca>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How much RAM to upgrade to?

> > I'm thinking about upgrading my machine with some more RAM considering the
> > insanely low prices.
> >
> > My current setup is:
> >
> > Celeron 300A, 64MB RAM, 15GB HD, soon to be adding an 80GB HD
> >
> > I'm wondering how much RAM is going to be in the "sweet spot" for me.  I
> > know there isn't a definitive answer and probably more is better, but I'm
> > wondering about diminishing returns of adding too much ram.  I mean, my
> > mother supports up to 768MB of RAM, but going that high seems a bit
> > insane.  I'm also wondering about the balance between buying lots of
> > RAM or some RAM and a faster CPU (like going to a P2 400mhz).  Any
> > info/opinions appreciated.
>
> The cpu change is only worth while if the change is VERY big, not so sure
> you'll see as much differance between the cpu's you mention. I considered
> moving from K6-2/350 to Celeron 350, but found the ram made a bigger
> differance than the cpu change would have.

Yes, but this is a different thing. The K6-2/350 uses FSB100 whereas the Celeron 350 uses FSB66. So you actually decrease the speed
of RAM on this way.
The Celeron 350 -> P2 400 increases both RAM and Processor power. So the effect would be significant on RAM intensive operations.
Of course you could also go to the new Celeron >800MHz as they also use FSB100. This only, if your motherboard supports the low core
voltage needed.

Ciao
Siegbert