Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:24:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: alpha klds and the new linker

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Doug Rabson writes:
>  > On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>  >
>  > >
>  > > Doug,
>  > >
>  > > There's something about the new linker (from the latest binutils
>  > > import) which breaks klds on alpha.  If I attempt to load a module
>  > > built with the new binutils, things go kaboom like this:
>  >
>  > >From looking at this, I can't say much other than that it looks like the
>  > symbol lookup for "modmetadata_set" returned something bogus. Either that
>  > or maybe the linker sets didn't get relocated properly. What does
>  > 'objdump -p' and 'objdump -R' look like for the two files?
>

> Due to their size, I've left the objdump -R output on freefall:
>
>      http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/objdump-R_new
>      http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/objdump-R_old

I guess it might be something to do with all those RELATIVE relocs which
have addends. I can't see anything obviously wrong with the code but it
has never been called with non-zero addends so there could easily be a
problem there. Wasn't there something similar with rtld recently?

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160