Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2016 22:49:37 +0100
From:      "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
To:        <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Creating FreeBSD/arm bootable SD card for Cubieboards from FreeBSD 11.0 image files for Wintel only users.

Hi,

With the availability of FreeBSD 11.0 image files intended for the most
popular ARM architectures in mind I'd appreciate it if someone on this list
would provide a brief explanation (or link to one) for those that only have
a Wintel PC at their disposal and would like to use FreeBSD on one of the
ARM architectures; in particular both currently supported Cubieboards.

I'm specifically interested in a brief explanation how to achieve what is
explained here https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Allwinner under the
heading "The Allwinner boot process" and how to achieve the following:

"To write the FreeBSD/arm image to an SD card, use the dd(1) utility,
replacing KERNEL with the appropriate kernel configuration name for the
system.

    	  # dd if=FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-arm-armv6-KERNEL.img \
    	    of=/dev/da0 bs=1m conv=sync

Be careful to make sure you get the target (of=) correct."

as explained here https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/announce.html
without having an already working system running FreeBSD or another UNIX
variant at one's disposal.

Thanks in advance and regards, Jk.