Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:12:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, jdp@freebsd.org, freebsd-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolution:  FDP reorganisation

Hi,

 * At some point this weekend (to be decided by CVS Rep. Manager John Polstra)
 * the doc/ repository will be frozen.  It will then be moved aside, and a
 * new doc/ repository created.
 *
 * All the English documentation from the old repository will be copied in to
 * its new location in the tree, retaining all the CVS logs, revision
 * histories, and so on.
 *
 * This will be carried out by John.

Are you sure this will work?  As I remember, you can't really "move
aside" an old repository -- people who have the stuff checked out will
have their cvs updates scream at them.  But if John says it's ok, I
have no problem with that.

 * [1] There are two changes to that message.  In conjunction with the recently
 *     committed change that moved /usr/share/local/zh_TW.BIG5 to zh_TW.Big5,
 *     the "Big5" variant will be used in the new repository as well.
 *
 *     And after comments from the Japanese Doc. Proj., the directory for
 *     Japanese docs in the repository will be ja_JP.EUC-JP.

Objection.  That is not a widely used name in Japan and has no basis
in standards.  I assume you are referring to this document in the
other mail:

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets

which specifies MIME charsets.  MIME charsets have nothing to do with
codeset names in locales.

This will make us incompatible with almost everyone in Japan and the
world, in particular, X/Open (think XFree86), which use
ja_JP.eucJP.  See "Internationalisation Guide, Version 2 By X / Open"

http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=013353541X

As I said in the other mail, we would like to see it stay as "ja" and
have "ja" defined as an official alias to ja_JP.EUC (for now, to be
changed to ja_JP.eucJP or ja_JP.EUC-JP later).

I would very much like to see the opinions of the Japanese doc team,
those who are actually doing the work of translation and locale
conversions (and whom I'm getting all this information from), valued a
little more.

respectfully,
Satoshi (and the Japanese doc team)