Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 23:58:13 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bus/Processor specific I/O methods - was Re: Beginning SPARC port

Darren Reed scribbled this message on Dec 15:

umm...  that's EXACTLY what I said...:
"the ONLY things neccessary in a static kernel will be the boot device
(be it network card or hard disk), and file system"

now I did add for modules which might of confused you, but unless
freebsd's boot process changes significantly, there isn't going to
be easy support for loading each neccessary "module" to get into
single usermode...  plus, I don't want to think about stuff like that
for the x86.. :)

> I think that whilst the above goal is interesting (and perhaps worthwhile),
> there are already problems which need to be solved for LKM's which aren't,
> as yet, such as merging LKM symbols so that gdb on the kernel is sane and
> fixing up crash dumps..

who care's about LKM's??  LKM's as they now are should just die... I'm
working on replacing it with the kld system (which once fully working
looks like it will be renamed to LKM)...  and this to some extent should
already be supported...  thought I haven't personally tried it yet
myself...

seems you've forgotten that this is a volunteer project...  I'm doing
this because I choose to, not because your paying me to, (thought if
you need something worked on, I wouldn't mind getting paid)...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD