Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:45:37 +0000
From:      Ashley Moran <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID on Tyan Tomcat K8E

On Friday 24 February 2006 16:49, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> I have a couple of these systems. =A0Why would you want to use the POS
> onboard RAID to set up a mirror when there's gmirror;-)

Do you really think so little of on-board RAID?  Is it that board in=20
particular, or on-board RAID in general?  I feel safer somehow with anythin=
g=20
hardware based as opposed to pure software solutions.  Maybe my faith is=20
misplaced...

I have to admit I had spontaneous disk corruption recently on a server usin=
g=20
motherboard RAID on an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Athlon64 but in i386 mode). =
=20
The disks appear to be fine so it looks like the RAID controller went posta=
l. =20
I've replaced the board with an Asus A8V Deluxe (which also helps as it run=
s=20
in amd64 mode) and the RAID seems fine now but I'll be watching it closely.

We're just about to order a batch of new servers and I was asking if the RA=
ID=20
works on the K8E to save us =A3100 or so.  But network admin lad next to me=
=20
says he wouldn't risk it and we're better with the 3ware 8006-2 card so we=
=20
will probably go with that.

No chances on the database servers though: ARC-1120s RAID-6 in each :D

Ashley