Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:11:01 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Hans Zaunere <zaunere@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches Question

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 06:20:27AM -0700, Hans Zaunere wrote:
> Well specifically I am referring to the ports
> collection.  Whenever I do a make install for a port,
> there is always a section saying something along the
> lines of "Getting FreeBSD Patches."
>
> I am wondering what these consist of, since I seldom
> see neseccary patches for other systems, except for
> those that the vendor/developer specifically says
> should be installed.  When I make install a port and
> it does its magic, where do these patches come from?
> Vendor? FreeBSD project? Third-party? These patches do
> seem to be FreeBSD specific, and I am wondering what
> kinds of technical issues they are patching.  Memory?
> Networking? Differences between FreeBSD's architecture
> and a SysV based system? etc..

Most[1] of the patches in the ports collection are in place to make
sure that the software installs in the right place, plays nice
with other ports etc. etc.

This is why you can compile & install software like apache from
it's original tarball, but then it won't be integrated as nicely
as it would be when you had used the port. It would run however,
because the apache team tests the code on FreeBSD also.

Of course, like Louis said, there are other kinds of patches,
for example to add functionality, but those are more rare.

--Stijn

[1] In my experience with the ports tree that is, I don't have any
    statistics on this.

--
I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
There's a knob called `brightness', but it doesn't work."