Date:      14 Nov 2001 09:34:19 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@molemanarmy.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: slightly OT: Unix MTA vs Exchange

"Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com> writes:

> >Granted, it might be usable. But then you face an even bigger
> >challenge than just moving everyone to a different server
> >platform. You have to convince your company to change the way people
> >use mail.
> >
> >In a 300+ person organisation, no sane director wil ever pick this
> >option. Loss of productivity and retraining costs would be through the
> >roof!
>
> Correct - but they would consider option #3 - which is to simply NOT
> upgrade from Exchange 5.5

That is one option. BUT and here is the big but. Microsoft tend to
drop support for things after I think 2 releases. So if you don't
upgrade, you don't get support, patches, etc. Its a neat trick :)

> If your a Microsoft shop, and you want to strike a blow to the Evil
> Empire, then simply DON'T upgrade.  It will save you lots of money,
> lots of time, and if you need more server power then just get a new
> hardware platform and put your old licenses on it.  Plus, you already
> know about the OLD bugs, why exchange them for a set of NEW ones?

Fortunately my department are completely FreeBSD based. However our IT
department are an MS shop. We have a much happier life than them.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
freebsd@molemanarmy.com          | Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
http://www.molemanarmy.com       | - Yeats