Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 02:45:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        Graeme Mathieson <mathie+freebsd-questions@wossname.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Logitech cordless pro keyboard + mouse

Graeme,

Did you get any useful answers to your questions?

I have just purchased a similar keyboard (Logitech Internet Navigator
Keyboard, PS/2 and USB, corded, 13 buttons + 8 multimedia controls).
It has a primary USB interface with a USB to PS/2 adaptor.

What I would really like is a USB (or PS/2) multimedia controller with
multiple buttons, knobs and jogwheels which can send X keycodes
(possibly MIDI based) to applications.

Some partially useful comments/questions/answers below...

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Graeme Mathieson wrote:

> What I would really like to do is get the keyboard's extra keys to
> do something useful.  There are 13 hotkeys, 6 keys + a jogdial for
> controlling an audio application and a scroll wheel.  If I could get
> even some of them working, that would be a great bonus.
>
> I note that XFree86 4.2 has a 'logicordless' keyboard model which
> defines actions for a number of these keys.  However, having tested
> with xev, these events never appear when any of the buttons are
> pressed.
>
> Has anybody else successfully used these buttons?  If not, I'm
> thinking that the first thing to try would be to verify that there
> are keycodes being emitted by the keyboard driver (atkbd?).  Any
> idea how I would go about doing so?

Using the PS/2 interface on a PC running FreeBSD 4.5R + XFree86 4.1 I
was able to get some of the keys to work with the following in my
/etc/X11/XF86Config:

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
    #   Option      "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option      "XkbModel"      "itouch"
    EndSection

XFree86 4.1 doesn't have "logiinetnav" support but the "itouch"
support appears compatible with some of the keys and worked for those
keys.

XFree86 4.2 should almost fully support the full "logiinetnav" model
(you may need "logicordless" as you mention above).  xev will show
decimal keycodes which can be converted to hex removing bit 0x80 and
comparing with the table in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/inet.

My laptop (running 4.5-STABLE + XFree86 4.2) works okay for the
standard keys with the USB interface using "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kdb1"
to switch to the USB keyboard.  However, the extra keys don't do
anything for me either.  Looking at src/sys/dev/usb/ukbd.c there
appears to be a conversion table (ukbd_trtab) which may need some work
in order to support the extra keys.  I haven't closely examined all of
the code yet, so I'm not sure if there is an easy fix to just pass
through the unknown keycodes.  I'll be busy for the next few weeks,
but after 4.6 is released, I may look at this further.

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Graeme Mathieson wrote:

> OK, next question.  Is it possible to get the two keyboards working
> simultaneously?

Any response on this?  I'd like to do this also on my laptop (or even
better be able to distinguish between the two keyboards somehow).