Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:15:25 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Version specific documentation

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 10:23:40AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > If you pull down
> >
> >     http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/faq.test.tar.gz
> >
> > and extract it under doc/en*/books/ you'll have a faq.test directory.
> > In there is a very simple book.sgml, a Makefile, and a freebsd.dsl that
> > contains logic to handle osversionmin and osversionmax (osversionin is
> > left as an exercise for the reader).  To use it, edit the definition of
> > 'for-release' in freebsd.dsl, and 'make' the documentation.  You'll see
> > paragraphs coming and going depending on the version you want.
>
> My God, it's full of cars!

Ho ho.

> A dumb DocBook newbie question:  I can see where this gives much more
> flexibility than using marked sections.  I'm still using marked sections
> for the DocBook-ified Release Notes I'm working on (which I'm going to
> start calling RELNOTESng just to be cute).  Since there is no ordering
> on the types of machines we support, is there any point in my trying to
> hack up something similar for supporting multiple architectures, rather
> than using marked sections?

How much overlap is there likely to be between different architectural
versions of the release notes?  It's certainly possible.  DocBook
already has an 'arch' attribute on most elements, so you could write
something like

    <para arch="i386 alpha">...</para>

and the stylesheets could do something with it.  Essentially, this would
be identical to the code I still have to write to support an osversionin
attribute.

> Dumb other question, returning to your original idea:  So is the idea
> that one would edit freebsd.dsl to produce a document for different
> versions of FreeBSD, rather than having to edit the source document?

Yes (and no. . .)

> Any way of specifying this at build time?

Yes (and no. . .) :-)

Depends on the processor you're using.  Jade doesn't support it, all it
lets you do is set previously unset values.  However, OpenJade lets you
assign values on the command line.