Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:43:54 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v. "the world" ...

* The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> [000413 13:21] wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
> 	After working at a local University, I've started to "slide
> in" FreeBSD on various servers, advocating cost among other things
> (stability, resources, etc) ...
>
> 	One of the things we've been asked to do is "justify using
> changing our status quo of using Solaris for everything to doing a 'mixed
> shop'" ... and I haven't got a clue where to start as far as being
> 'unbiased' about it is concerned *sigh*
>
> 	Can ppl point me to *any* FreeBSD v. <insert OS here> sites that
> are around the 'Net, and is there any one single site that would have most
> of these listed?
>
> 	I'd love to see pointers to E'Zine sites as well, that have
> reviews or articles on it.
>
> 	Basically, I want to make up one thick package to give to the
> higher-ups and say "read", with a summary of what is in it on top ...

I think an excellent case is Hotmail whos front end stuff runs on
FreeBSD and backend on Solaris, they pretty effectively broke down
what needed to be where based on cost and performance objectives.

Simply put, if FreeBSD saves you time and money on software and
hardware costs and the impact on running a mixed shop isn't signifigant
and not going for it doesn't make much sense.

Of course there are those with yearly budgets to justify... they might
not like the savings. :)