Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:26:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   i740 based video cards and linux emulation

I found the Linux X server for the i740, but I can't get it to run under
FreeBSD.  I think I've got the Linux emulation libraries installed, but I
keep running into problems.

I tossed the .rpm onto one of my Redhat machines and installed it.  ldd
reported that I needed libm.so.6, libc.so.6, libdl.so.2, and
/lib/ld-linux.so.2.  All of those come with the linux-compat package, so I
didn't figure I'd need anything.  I also ran cksum on both the FreeBSD box
and the RedHat box, and they matched.

Then I got the rpm package from the BSD ports collection, installed it,
used it to install the xi740.rpm with --ignore-arch, --ignore-os --nodeps.
That worked fine also.

First off it wasn't recognizing the file format, so I ran brandelf -t
Linux on it.  That appeared to fix that problem, but now it just core
dumps.  I tried running ldd on it to see if maybe it was missing some
libraries, and:

# ldd-linux /usr/X11R6/bin/XBF_i740
/usr/bin/ldd-linux: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: not found

That didn't really make sense to me since ld-linux.so.2 was in
/compat/linux/lib, and I'd already run ldconfig-linux.  I put
ld-linux.so.2 in /lib (after making that directory) and tried ldd again:

# ldd-linux /usr/X11R6/bin/XBF_i740
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
        not a dynamic executable

Now, I know that ld-linux.so.2 is statically linked, but why should that
matter?  And what's with that syntax error?  I'm pretty much lost here.

---
Tani Hosokawa
River Styx Internet