Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 11:33:17 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mbarkah@hemi.com (Ade Barkah)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help with scsi MEDIUM ERROR...

Ade Barkah stands accused of saying:
> We recently encountered the following message on one of our systems:
>
> sd1(aha0:1:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:f9370 asc12,0 Address mark not found
> for id field field replaceable unit: d8 sks:80,0
> , FAILURE (there were also a few retry messages before the FAILURE.)
>
> The environment is FreeBSD 2.0.5-950622-SNAP, the disk in question
> is a 2gb Seagate Barracuda connected to an Adaptec 1542-CF.
>
> My questions are... what kind of conditions might cause the error
> message ? Now that it has happened, what type of further failures
> can I expect, and what precautions should I take ?

Your Barracuda is probably too hot; you may need to arrange extra
ventilation for it.  The message means that the drive couldn't find
a sector that it needed, and retrying didn't help.  Most likely caused
by overheating causing malfunctioning of some part of the drive
circuitry, or possibly thermal distortion beyond tolerance of one or
more parts of the drive.

If you leave the drive in its current situation, it will fail completely
soon, and data written in an overheated state may possibly be unrecoverable
once the drive cools again.

> The machine is still up and running... should I fsck partitions
> on the disk to make sure everything is ok ?

Open the box and touch the disk.  If it's too hot, you need extra
ventilation; if possible, arrange this without powering the disk
down to avoid thermal shock.

("too hot" is when you can't keep your fingers comfortably on any part of
the drive for an indefinite period.)

Barracudas, although less with the newer ones, are notorious for producing
_lots_ of heat.  You can't just mount them in a standard PC case and expect
them to survive. (Yours is not one of the "newer" ones.)

> -Ade Barkah

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[