Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:51:58 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Jan Stocker <Jan.Stocker@t-online.de>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD. ORG" <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: May someone commit this....

Hi Jan and all,

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 09:19:03PM +0200, Jan Stocker wrote:
> Okay... i've attached the new version. Matthew Emmerton told me that some
> changes have taken place in ports-support and PRs really will be processed
> (i waited over one year for this port to be added). So i'll next use the old
> and correct way, pls excuse for disturbing you all.
>
> Attached a new patch (replacing the old one i've send)

I haven't fully reviewed your patch, but I see that it upgrades
the nethack3-gnome to nethack 3.4.0.  I have no problems with what
it does technically, but I think maybe we need to rethink how the
nethack ports are done as a whole.  I'd also like to point out
PR 36576 which also updates nethack3, nethack3-tty and nethack-qt
and makes the latter two slave ports of the former.  This seems
a sensible strategy in this case.

However, I still don't think that does the right thing in terms
of naming these ports.  For instance, if we apply that PR or a
combination of it and the patch you attached then we will have
two plain nethack ports, one (nethack) being 3.2.3 and the
other (nethack3) being 3.4.0.  This seems a little odd.  I
would propose we do the following with respect to naming:

1. Repo copy nethack (and the appropriate satellite ports)
   to nethack32 (or nethack32-foo).  This will be nethack 3.2.0.

2. Repo copy nethack3 & co. to nethack33 etc.  This will be
   nethack 3.3.1.

3. Also repo copy the ports in step 2. to nethack34 and apply
   the appropriate patches to bring them up to version 3.4.0.

If people think this is too confusing, or is too many versions of
nethack (heresy!) then I accept that, although I still think
something needs to be done about naming.  If we do go with this
then I'll probably produce nethack31 and nethack30 ports as well ;).

If we want one port, it should be the latest.  If we want multiple
versions then we shouldn't overwrite one of the current ports to
update to a newer version and we need to fix the naming.

Comments?
--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com