Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 10:18:32 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@aol.com>
To:        "Frank Volf" <volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl>, <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Stable" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CTM patch level added to newvers.sh

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Volf <volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl>
Newsgroups: list.freebsd.stable
To: Hetzels@aol.com <Hetzels@aol.com>; nate@mt.sri.com <nate@mt.sri.com>
Date: Sunday, October 05, 1997 9:39 AM

>In article <971004143220_-729141990@emout19.mail.aol.com>,
> <Hetzels@aol.com> wrote:

>>>  We need a solution that isn't specific to the transport medium, or in
>>>  more specific terms a solution that works irregardless of how you got
>>>  the bits.
>>>
>>I agree.
>>
>>One method I would like to see is that the .ctm_status file becomes a
>>permanant part of the src tree. (Why?) Because CTM deltas are created at
>>least once every day.
>
>Yes and that is exactly the problem with this solution. If I sup the CVS
>tree then some rcs deltas may (and will) be added to the tree that are not
>yet noticed by CTM. In other words, during one day a sup would give me
>different versions of the source tree, all with the same CTM delta version.
>And since people are building 'releases' from the CVS tree (instead of
>ftp'ing them) this is not good.

Actually, according to the handbook on CTM
 http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook239.html#ctm )

"You will need to transfer up to four deltas per day".

This suggest that CTM deltas are created every 6 Hours. And Thus if you sup
at 4 different times during the day, you will get at least 4 different
versions.  Now, if you sup between the 6 hour delta creations, then you will
get different versions with the same CTM value.

How fine, do you want it?

Scot.