Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:57:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <ajk@paw-in-eye.net>
To:        kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu (Kenny Drobnack)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weirdness with a directory named ~

Kenny Drobnack said:
> 	My question is: why did it do this?!?!? Also, how hard would it be
> to make things so it would look for ./~, then if that file/direcotry
> doesn't exist, then check for a home directory? Or is that even a good
> idea?

1) Don't crosspost.

2) You've essentially answered your own question.  Tildes at the
beginning of pathnames are relative to a home directory.  Tildes
elsewhere in a path are not.  So, to remove a directory named ~,
use rmdir ./~ as below:

%mkdir ./~
%ls -ld ./~
drwxr-xr-x  2 ajk  wheel  512 Dec 30 13:56 ./~
%rmdir ~
rmdir: /home/alec: Permission denied
%rmdir ./~
%