Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:17:03 -0700
From:      Mike Durian <durian@shadetreesoftware.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   wi(4) receive bottle neck at 147456 bytes

I suspect this isn't really a FreeBSD problem, but maybe someone
here has some insight.  I'm having problems talking between a FreeBSD
-current box with a wi(4) card (LinkSys I believe - it's a remote
box) and a Belkin access point (also a LinkSys WAP11, but I haven't
performed the same measurements).

For naming conventions, box1 will be a FreeBSD box with the wireless
card.  Box2 will be a FreeBSD box with an ethernet interface on the
LAN side of the access point.

If I do the following:
time dd bs=1 if=11mb | ssh -c none box2 dd of=/dev/null

That is, transfer an 11 Mb file of random data from box1 to box2,
it happens pretty quickly.  A bit under 1Mb/s, which is fine.
However, when I do the same in reverse, from box2 to box1, the
transfer halts at 147456 bytes.  The output block size of the first
dd doesn't have any effect.  The default 512 bytes per block, 1024
and even 1 byte per block all stop transmitting at 147456 bytes.

Does anyone know what is magical about 147456?

Thanks,
mike