Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:12:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Derrick Springer <mc_knight@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Problems

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Derrick Springer wrote:

> I am attempting to install FreeBSD to a Quantum 1Gb SCSI-2 drive, but
> after I finish downloading the OS and reboot, it tries to mount the
> partition and then stops with a "Panic: cannot mount" error and reboots.
> However, if I load the OS onto one of the IDE drives in the system, I
> can boot and work in FreeBSD just fine. My system looks like this:

You neglected to tell us what version of FreeBSD you were using.

My guess is that the system is getting confused as to what the real root
is because of how your SCSI disks probe.  Try using the -a option (?) on
the Boot: prompt and tell it the disk that the kernel *probed* that has
the root FS on it, or move your disk.  Then build a new kernel wiring down
the SCSI IDs as detailed in /sys/i386/conf/LINT.