Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:19:31 +0800
From:      Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question on installing printer

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 01:21, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
=2D snip -

> > # lptest > /dev/lpt0
> > =A0
> > One line printed on 1st page as follow;
> >
> > !"#$%&'()*
> > +,-./0123456789:;<=3D>?@ABCDEFGHIJK.....XYZ......abcdefghijk.......xyz.=
=2E..
> > =A0
> > It seemed OK but paper feed-in continued with 'no_paper' light on (I put
> > only 1 paper in the tray)
>
> Sounds fine. =A0
>
> You have more configuration you'll want to do; see the Handbook
> chapter for an extensive explanation. =A0Personally, I use apsfilter
> (from the ports) to configure and run my Deskjet.

Hi Lowell,

Tks for your response.

Later I also used 'apsfilter' to config my printer.  The printtest looked=20
perfect, a complete page filled with nice tiger heads, text and grid border=
=2E =20
But still I could not print documents.  Hereinunder was my tests;

/etc/printcap
HPDJ690C|cdj670;r=3D300x300;q=3Dmedium;c=3Dfull;p=3Da4;m=3Dauto:\
=A0 =A0 :lp=3D/dev/lpt0:\
=A0 =A0 :if=3D/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
=A0 =A0 :sd=3D/var/spool/lpd/HPDJ690C:\
=A0 =A0 :lf=3D/var/spool/lpd/HPDJ690C/log:\
=A0 =A0 :af=3D/var/spool/lpd/HPDJ690C/acct:\
=A0 =A0 :mx#0:\
=A0 =A0 :sh:

=46ollowing line added to /etc/rc.conf
lpd_enable=3D"YES"

# lpr -P HPDJ690C clean.txt
Only strange symbols printed. 'No paper' light was flashing.
=20
# lprm -P HPDJ690C
dfA006localhost dequeued
cfA006localhost dequeued
=20
# lpq -P HPDJ690C
no entries
=20
But 'No paper' light was still flashing. Turned off the printer and turned =
on=20
again the light gone. (I put only one paper on the tray otherwise the print=
er=20
will contiue to eject papers)
=20
On KDE desktop started a text document
Started printing
=46ile -> Print
Print system currently used <Generic UNIX LPD Print System (default)>
Printer Name - HPDJ690C
Clicked <Print>
=20
Only strange symbols printed out and 'no paper' light flashing.=20
=20
Remark: also tried
Print system currently used <LPR/LPRng Print System>
same result:- strange symbols and light flashing

A folk on this list mentioning
> Once you do this you can insert setup codes via an input filter ahead of
> the data to be printed and most printers including many HP models have a
> code which switches the interpretation of the LF character.

I have no idea how to make it and am still waiting his advice.

I am searching around for solutions but still could not find it.
=20
B.R.
Stephen