Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:26:05 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   utmp corruption at boot; bad

Hello all,

Using 3.5-STABLE.

At boot, my /var/run/utmp _always_ gets corrupted.  It can be fixed with
'rm /var/run/utmp ; touch /var/run/utmp', but after the next boot it's bad
again.

It has plagued me over 3 months now, from 3.4-STABLE to 3.5-STABLE (at
least).  I have CVSup'ed, made new kernels and worlds at least 3-4 times
now, no luck.  I'm using ipfilter patches (ranging from like 3.3.8 to
3.4.6).

Example of the corruption:

# w
----
w: /dev/umount: : No such file or directory
w: /dev/ /usr/ho: No such file or directory
w: /dev/ar: not : No such file or directory
w: /dev/currentl: No such file or directory
 7:15PM  up  1:34, 2 users, load averages: 0.05, 0.02, 0.00
root             p0       pekkas.home      5:47PM     - w
-----

The first four lines always seem to be the same.

Also, ps has been misbehaving for about the same time:

# ps
ps: bad namelist

No workaround.  E.g. killall still works though.

Anyone seen anything like this before?  Any ideas / pointers?

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"