Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:41:36 -0700
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        dirk@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Apache 1.3.26+modssl on FreeBSD 4.6.1: processes wont die

I've got the FreeBSD Apache+modssl 1.3.26 port installed, with the modphp
4.2.2 port installed.  Generally things are just fine.  However, every once
in a while (after Apache has been running for several days) the number of
httpd processes grows to the point where Apache just stops.

Restarting apache with apachectl restart clears the processes and enables
Apache to work again.  apachectl graceful keeps the processes running.

I've really combed over my httpd.conf file and even rebuilt it, and I'm
pretty sure there's nothing wrong there.  Something appears to be
inhibiting the root httpd server from killing off processes, but I cannot
figure out what.  The really frustrating thing is that I don't see any
error messages indicating a problem killing off the processes.

I'm serving mostly html, along with Squirrelmail 1.2.7.  Squirrelmail is
behind a secure connection.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

--