Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 13:45:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates & fsck

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:
[...]
> Soft updates had this problem originally because the sync(2) call didn't
> do the right thing (tick the sync soft clock wheel until it was empty)
> in the first pass at the soft updates code.
>
> Fixing this took a long time, and it *was* fixed.  Unordered writes
> of async queued events are equivalent to async writes, and you know
> how I hate those.  8-(.

Well, I had to hit reset once, while building world, as my box froze while
logging out of X.  End result was fsck grok'd both disks (Quantum, SCSI),
and stuff was left in lost+found for both disks.  The one with /usr/obj
had some dirs (and files too I think) that couldn't be rm -rf'd.  Going
into single user mode, and manually running fsck on the damaged drive
seemed to fix this.  And, this was with a pre-cam kernel, with no patches
or anything.

Perhaps a related problem?

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |