Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 08:38:57 -0700
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freeBSD-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Without BSD...(humor)

Joe Warner wrote:

> You know those Karl's Jr. commercials where the guy
> walks into a grocery store and stares blankly at a shelf
> of a hundred or so brands of bread?
>
> Now picture the same guy walking into a computer or
> software store, staring blankly at a shelf of Linux
> distributions....
>
> 1.  http://www.topology.org/linux.html#os

I recently sent an email to Cybermax regarding their software,
which
comes in linux and FBSD versions. The linux versions get updated
often
and the FBSD version is still using FBSD3.3. Here is te response
to my
email, part of the response -
*quote begins here*
We are not dropping our FreeBSD products, however, they are
on a different development cycle than our Linux products and we
do not
currently have any updates available.
--snipped some stuff about advertising in a bsd magazine--
As for linux and its splintering, it is a difficultly that
we have to deal with, that is inherent in the birth of any new
technology, but I think we will see some compression of this
issue in the future.  My guess is a lot of the current flavors
will be absorbed into the more predominant distributions leaving
only a couple of the strongest companies intact.
* end quote *
Maybe some of the -smaller- versions will go away, but what would
that leave? Basically a linux version of Windows, since that
appears
to be where the big ones are going. They're getting bigger and
fatter.
I'll stick with BSD regardless of what the companys think we
want.

> 2.  http://bsd.reedmedia.net/Distributions/
>
> .."Without BSD, some people would  use Windows!."
>
> --
>
>     FreeBSD = The Power to Serve
>      ..Simply put = FreeBSD Rocks!

Chip W.